December 2010 | Newsletter archives
Embrace the Power of Purple
By Samantha Grant, CN
Recent data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey has revealed that people who consumed purple/blue fruits and vegetables on a regular basis has a lowered risk of metabolic syndrome, a condition where risk factors for heart disease and Type 2 diabetes occur together.
5 Ways to Embrace the Purple
1. Toss blueberries into your morning breakfast cereal or purple grapes into your salad.
2. Try grape juice. Make sure to check the labels and look for 100% concord grape juice instead of grape juice blend.
3. Add raisins or dried plums to your trail mix
4. Use grape juice in replacement of red wine in your cooking. This results in dishes with great flavor minus the alcohol. Perfect for everyday cooking!
5. Try roasting or grilling sliced eggplant