June 2011 | Newsletter archives
Summer eats, summer treats
By Samantha Grant, CN
The best foods for the summer are light, refreshing and most importantly, keep you out of a hot kitchen. Stock up on delicious fruits and vegetables – they’re very prevalent during summer months. Take advantage of them and try the following:
• Chilled soups like gazpacho or cucumber-dill are a great way to start a meal
• Grilled veggies like onions, bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, asparagus and even garlic are great in salads, pitas and frittatas.
• Speaking of salad, toss together some raw vegetables, along with some low-fat cheese, toasted nuts, and mixed with a light raspberry vinaigrette.
• Watermelon helps satisfy thirst and quenches your desire for something sweet..
• Drink up but stick to low and no-cal beverages. Even a root beer or orange dream float made with diet soda and ½ cup of frozen vanilla yogurt is low-cal! Also try a spritzer of lemon flavored sparkling water and pomegranate juice.
And the treat? Fruit-based desserts like grilled pineapple with pecans, grilled white peaches with blackberries and honey, frozen grapes or a grilled banana sundae made with low-fat ice cream or yogurt are just what you need to top off a great summer day.